About This Blog

My current research obsession is centered around purses and pouches from the European Middle Ages, and the accompanying hardware and passementerie. It is my hope to not only study extant items but also learn via reconstructive experiments; these will be limited for the most part to the textile components, however in the future I hope to explore the production of the metal frames.

28 June 2008

Pattern redaction, part 1

I'll say this again: Difficult up close, even harder using photographs, and migraine-inducing when using digital images (at least when the image resolution is so small that it's hard to distinguish between pixels and stitches).

There are a few areas that are obscured in the photo (this is IRPA Obj# 43380) but I have the main motif worked out. I've adapted it to be repetitive, so that I can use it on its own, but at some point I hope to work out the whole thing. May need to wait until I can visit it in person though.

Here's my redaction thus far (colours are not meant to be exact):


Kathy Storm said...

What program did you use for this? I did a redaction using Photoshop and it looks similar. Thanks for posting this pattern, it is on my list of things to make but I didn't feel like making the pattern yet. Now I don't have to, so maybe I will make it sooner!

Tristán Z. said...

I'm not very computer-savvy, and I tend not to use very complicated programs for everything. For many things, this included, I used the "Draw" feature on AppleWorks (for Macintoshs). Essentially, I made some standard-sized rounded rectangles, gave them different colors, and then physically (i.e. click-&-drag) moved them about. Very time consuming, but that's my favorite way so far..

Kathy Storm said...

I did something similar using Photoshop. I have never even tried AppleWorks (I use a Mac, too). Maybe I should; I like simple. My boyfriend is VERY computer savvy so he always shows me complicated stuff when he helps me.

Boudijn Foppessoen Oversloet said...

Dear Sir,
a number of years ago I was able to obtain a book with further information on those textiles which are being kept in the basillica of Our Lady Birth (De basiliek Onze Lieve Vrouwe Geboorte) in Tongeren Belgium (Tongeren Basiliek O.-L.-Vrouw Geboorte, Textiel, published by :Peeters, Leuven 1988,ISBN 90-6831-125-5). The book gives infomation a number of textiles in the church treasury. The frontpage of this book shows a very details colour photograph of the purse on which you based your pattern.It took my a lot of headache, patience and time before I had turned the original pattern into a counting pattern with the aide of my Autocad programm. During work on the counting pattern I came to the conclusion, that the original pattern has been made up of two different types of blocks and one border. Being a technicaldraftsman by profession it soon became clear to me, that there is a slight difference in size between the two blocks. This results in an uncomfortable 'make up' of the pattern. I have been trying to find the 'reason' behind this discomfort. But to no succes.
For those who are interested: the two block are group together in a square of four elements. On the diagonal two blocks with the same make up have been used. The border has been placed around and between them as a framing, binding and separating element.
Thank you for charing you work with us.

Racaire said...

Thank you very much for your pattern - just use it with different colors for a small Pouch side project :)
Thanks! :)