About This Blog

My current research obsession is centered around purses and pouches from the European Middle Ages, and the accompanying hardware and passementerie. It is my hope to not only study extant items but also learn via reconstructive experiments; these will be limited for the most part to the textile components, however in the future I hope to explore the production of the metal frames.

13 June 2008

Go out and buy...

...Olaf Goubitz's Purses in Pieces: Archaeological Finds of Late Medieval and 16th-century Leather Purses, Pouches, Bags and Cases in the Netherlands.

2 comments:

Kathy Storm said...

I have this book, too. I really like it. Now I have to learn to work with leather as well.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Olaf Goubitz wrote a number of books on archaeological finds. One of the most important, if not The most important, was Stepping Through Time. A book dedicated to shoes. It is with warm feelings that I remember the speech which he gave, during a winter event of the living history society of whichj I am a member. Within a few minutes the speech had turnd into a lively discussion. I regret to inform the readers that he passed away a number of years ago.